Food is the window to a man's heart... so true

It is so true when people say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

My hubby is a person who loves food. One day, we were window shopping at The Gardens, when out of the blue, on the escalator, he turned to me and say "I love... foooood, I really do..." I expected an I-love-you but nooooo.... he was thinking about food.

After a long day at work, he calls home and asks "What's for dinner?"
If I say "My mum's tau yew bak (stewed pork in soy sauce) served with rice", he would make cars part in traffic jams and arrive home in a blink of an eye.
If I say "Salad", I'd hear him moan and whine over the phone.
If I say "Vegetarian salad" (as if salad is not bad enough), you can imagine how his reaction would be, or any guy's reaction for that matter.

Learning to cook is, or even attempting to do it, is a vital part in my life. Not only does it bring pleasure to my husband's tummy, but it is also a good way for me to de-stress and focus on something other than work.

Here, I would like to share a really simple and homely dessert recipe that both my husband and I enjoy. It came about because I had plums and an apple in the fridge, which was sour and long-overdue. So I thought, why not do something with it, rather than just throwing it out?

PLUM-APPLE CRUMBLE
Ingredients
5 plums, cut into wedges
1 apple, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons softened butter

Crumble
80g butter, cut into cubes
100g soft flour
40g rolled oats
40g castor sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 160C conventional heat setting.

Brush over proof bowl with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Distribute the plums and apples evenly in the dish.

To make the crumble, mix together the flour, sugar and oats and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Cover the top of the dish with the crumble and pat down to make it compact.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and cool before serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.




I might substitute apples with mangoes the next time. Will see how it goes. Do give it a try, can hardly go wrong. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts